As you age, it is important to consider lifestyle changes that can enhance quality of life, improve mobility, and prevent detrimental medical issues. Start implementing these habits into your everyday life now, and live a better life later-on.
Ten tips for growing old gracefully include:
- Start strength training. Strength training tends to target the core, and a stronger core will keep you moving even when you get older. Resistance and strength training can help ward off mobility issues caused by arthritis, osteoporosis, or other medical conditions, as well as help keep your limber and less prone to injury or a fall.
- Stay social. It is integral to maintain social contacts as you become older. Many seniors withdraw and become reclusive, which can expedite the natural aging process. Get out and interact as much as possible.
- Use your brain. Keep your mind occupied and challenged with word puzzles, games, and problem-solving.
- Adopt a pet. The companionship of a pet can be nurturing and give a sense of purpose to seniors that may have lost a partner or that live alone.
- Walk daily. Get a brisk walk in every day to maintain a positive attitude and generate 'feel-good' endorphins in your brain. A few minutes a day of cardio can have an anti-depressant impact on your mood.
- Get plenty of Vitamin D. Vitamin D, which is found in spinach, kale, and dairy products, helps build strong bones and teeth. Include Vitamin D in your diet to prevent brittle bones when you are older.
- Quit smoking. Even if you don't subscribe to the health benefits of quitting smoking, you should know that using tobacco products can impact your skin's elasticity over time. This will result in wrinkles and fine lines, particularly around your mouth.
- Take a multi-vitamin. Make sure you are getting what you need by taking a multi-vitamin every day. Try a chewable or gummy version if you don't care for pills.
- Get plenty of rest. Adults typically need around seven hours of sleep per night. Create a calming environment in your bedroom and practice good sleep hygiene to ensure you get your much-needed, restorative rest.
- Reduce stress. Stress can lead to a bevy of health problems and illnesses. Take strides to reduce the stress in your life and eliminate negativity whenever possible.
Adopt these ten strategies into your daily lifestyle to curb the signs of aging and to preserve your health as you get older. Talk with your provider about other ways to maintain health and well-being as you age, and before making any drastic lifestyle changes.Share